Mixing With Traktor On A Modular Controller Setup Of X1s + Midi Fighters
One of the most popular DJTT articles was a discussion in 2012 about choosing between modular setups or all-in-one DJ rigs. Despite the influx of tons of fantastic all-in-one controllers and standalone gear like the XDJ-RX, modular DJ controllers are still a very popular, affordable, and versatile choice. Today DJTT community member Belmont shows off how he mixes with a Midi Fighter 3D, Midi Fighter Twister, two Kontrol X1 Mk2s, Traktor, and any four channel mixer.
Gear Used In The Video
Belmont shared the specifics of the gear he used in this video:
- Allen & Heath Xone 42 – with an external sound-card (MOTU UltraLite MKIII Hybrid) that has four independent channels coming out from Traktor into the mixer. (You can use any four channel mixer – built in soundcards make for optimal convenience!)
- Kontrol X1 MK2 – used to control four decks, FX control, Loops and Beatjumps.
- Midi Fighter Twister – used to control Deck D, sequencing drum beats.
- Midi Fighter 3D – used to trigger single-shot samples and launch some clips.
- Sennheiser HD25 – for monitoring.
- 4 port USB Hub – used to connect all USB devices.
- Chroma Cables & Chroma Caps – used to add some color to my setup 🙂
FX ASSIGNMENT + MAPPINGS USED
- Fx1: Single Mode – Delay T3 (Decks A,B,C)
- Fx2: Group Mode – Wormhole, Beatmasher, Filter (Decks A,B,C)
- Fx3: Single Mode – Reverb (Decks A,B,C,D)
- Fx4: Single Mode – Tape Delay (Deck D)
- Note: Remix Deck FX only is activated in channel 1.
On the Kontrol X1 MK2s, Belmont only used the default mapping, but for the Midi Fighters he used some custom mappings from the DJTT Maps repository:
- Midi Fighter Twister: Traktor Sequencer
- Midi Fighter 3D: Sample Player
Watch a detailed explanation of the setup where Belmont discusses his magic use of the tape delay with the remix deck and samples:
Listen to more of Belmont’s mixes here on Soundcloud.
Read More: Creative Ways To Use The Traktor Remix Decks Or Samples In A Real DJ Set
Do you have any magic FX for the remix decks?
Share them in the comments below!